[Wittrs] Re: [quickphilosophy] 1.21 Continued

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:49:40 -0700 (PDT)

[ the message board is not sending messages back to wittrs. Not sure why. Until
that is fixed, this appears in reply to walter].

I read half of the Monadology the other night and took some notes. Pardon the
lack of quotes from the TLP, but I am sure you'll see 'em when you come to 'em.

7. In addition, there is no way of explaining how a monad could be internally
altered or changed by some other created being. The reason is that there is
nothing which can be moved from one position to another, and it is impossible
conceive of any internal motion, which could be set up, redirected, increased,
or diminished inside it. By contrast, this is possible in compounds, since they
have parts which can change position. Monads have no windows to let anything in
or out by. Accidents cannot detach themselves from substances, or travel around
independently of them, as the 'sensible species' of the scholastics used to do.
Consequently, neither substances nor accidents can get into a monad from
outside.

Here, perception (within the monad, as precise specification) 'can not be
explained in terms of mechanistic causation'. Is that what is left out of the
TLP? The duck-rabbit and in-and-out cube? The failure of the logical
positivists?

25. We also see that Nature has given heightened perceptions to animals,
through
the care it has taken to supply them with sense organs, which bring together
many rays of light or waves in the air, to make them more effective by being
united. There is something similar in the senses of smell, taste, and touch,
and
perhaps also many other senses which are unknown to us. I shall shortly explain
how what happens in the soul represents what occurs in the sense organs.

I am reminded of Wittgenstein's analogy between the musical score, the
gramophone record, and the sheet music. They are, in a sense, all on the same
level...

29. But it is knowledge of necessary and eternal truths which distinguishes us
from mere animals, and which gives us reason and the sciences, by elevating us
to knowledge of ourselves and of God. This is what in us is called the
'rational
soul', or spirit.

Knowledge of 'eternal truths' is called, by Leibniz, the spirit (or
zeitgeist?).
Is a tautology eternal truth?

30. It is also through the knowledge of necessary truths and what can be
abstracted from them that we are raised to acts of reflection, which make us
think of what is called the self, and to consider that this or that is in us.
It
is thus that, in thinking of ourselves, we think of being, of substance, of the
simple and the compound, of the immaterial, and even of God, by forming a
conception of what is limited within us, and without limits in him. These acts
of reflection provide us with the primary objects of our reasonings.

This brings me back to ray monk, about something from one of LW's journals.

"If I may explain in a similie: If a street loafer were to write his biography,
the danger would be that he would either
a) deny tat his nature was what it is,
or b), would find some reason to be proud of it,
or c), present the matter as though this- that he had such a nature- were of no
consequence.
In the first case he lies, in the second he mimics the trait of the natural
aristocrat, that pride which is a vitium splendidud and which he can not really
have any more than a crippled body can have natural grace. In the third case he
makes as it were the gesture of social democracy, placing culture above the
bodily qualities- but this is deception as well. He is what he is, and this is
important and means something but is no reason for pride, on the other hand it
is always the object of self-respect. And I can accept the other's aristocratic
pride and his contempt for my nature, for in this I am only taking account of
what my nature is and of the other man as part of the environment of my nature-
the world with this perhaps ugly object, my person, as its center."

31. Our reasonings are grounded on two great principles. One is the principle
of
contradiction, by virtue of which we judge false anything which involves a
contradiction, and true anything which is the opposite or contradictory of the
false.

Contradiction and its opposite (tautology?). I've seen GL write on tautologies
and contradictions elsewhere. And happiness, too.

35. Finally, there are simple ideas which cannot be defined; and there are also
axioms and postulates -- in a word, primary principles -- which cannot be
proved, and also do not need to be proved, since they are assertions of
identity, of which the opposite contains an explicit contradiction.

Humph... what can I say about that?

45. Thus only God (or the necessary being) has this privilege, that he must
exist if he is possible. And since nothing can prevent the possibility of that
which includes no limits, no negation, and hence no contradiction, this alone
is
enough for us to know apriori that God exists. We have also proved his
existence
from the reality of eternal truths. But we have also just proved it
aposteriori,
since contingent beings exist, and they could only have their ultimate or
sufficient reason in the necessary being, who has the reason for their
existence
in himself.

3.04
An a priori true thought would be one whose possibility guaranteed its truth.

46. Meanwhile, one must not imagine (as some have) that, since eternal truths
depend on God, they are arbitrary, and depend on his will. This is how
Descartes
seems to have taken it, and subsequently Mr Poiret. It is only true of
contingent truths, which depend on the principle of harmony, or the choice of
the best; whereas necessary truths depend solely on his understanding, of which
they are the internal object.

3.342
In our notations there is indeed something arbitrary, but this is not
arbitrary,
namely that if we have determined anything arbitrarily, then something else
must
be the case. (This results from the essence of the notation.)

Good luck,
John O
He had a wonderful life.