[L] [blog] On The Famous von Wright Photos

  • From: Squarespace Services <services@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 04:03:20 +0000 (GMT+00:00)

Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx> updated On The Famous von Wright Photos:

 Here is a statement from the photographer of the famous photos of Wittgenstein
and Georg Henrik von Wright in Cambridge in 1950. The photos were some of the
last ever taken of Ludwig. (von Wright was Wittgenstein's successor at
Cambridge and also one of his executors).

 "In the late spring of 1950 we had tea with the von Wrights in the garden. It
was a sunny day and I asked Wittgenstein if I could take a photograph of him.
He said, yes, I could do that, if I would let him sit with his back to the
lens. I had no objections and went to get my camera. In the meantime
Wittgenstein had changed his mind. he now decided I was to take the picture in
the style of a passport photograph, and von Wright was to sit next to him.
Again I agreed, and Wittgenstein now walked off to get the sheet off his bed;
he would not accept Elisabeth von Wright's offer of a fresh sheet from her
closets. Wittgenstein draped the sheet, hanging it in front of the veranda and
pulled up two chairs."

 -- K.E. Tranoj [the "o" requires a special character I am unable duplicate
here -- sw]

 Sources: Michael Nedo, Michele Ranchetti, “Ludwig Wittgenstein, Sein Leben in
Bildern und Texten, Suhrkamp,” 1983 at p. 471-473;  and Michael Nedo, Guy
Moreton and Alec Finlay, “Ludwig Wittgenstein, There Where You are Not,” 2005,
at p. 84.

 Here are the pictures, albeit a little cropped:

 http://www.helsinki.fi/filosofia/VonWrightArchives/img001pieni.jpg
(http://www.helsinki.fi/filosofia/VonWrightArchives/img001pieni.jpg)

 http://www.kolumbus.fi/jukerk/wittgenstein_wright.jpg
(http://www.kolumbus.fi/jukerk/wittgenstein_wright.jpg)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_yQs1YHZPurs/Rw-QZ0pv9rI/AAAAAAAAAHg/fTyGALlzqdA/s320/Witt+and+von+Wright.jpg

(http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_yQs1YHZPurs/Rw-QZ0pv9rI/AAAAAAAAAHg/fTyGALlzqdA/s320/Witt+and+von+Wright.jpg)

 -- Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.

 Source: Ludwig Wittgenstein: There Where You Are Not
(http://www.amazon.com/There-Where-You-Are-Not/dp/1904772161)

<http://ludwig.squarespace.com/wittrs-blog/2009/10/29/on-the-famous-von-wright-photos.html>