[quickphilosophy] What aspect of language cannot be conventional

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 23:30:58 -0700 (PDT)

3.342 In our notions there is indeed something arbitrary, but this is not
arbitrary: if we have determined something arbitrarily  then something else
must

be the case.  (This stems from the essence of  the notation.)

3.3421 A particular way of symbolizing may be unimportant,  but it is always
important that this is a possible way of symbolizing.   And it is like this in
philosophy generally: the particular proves unimportant  time and again, but
the

possibility of each particular gives us an insight into  the essence of the
world.

3.343 Definitions are rules for translation from one language  into another.
Every right sign-language must allow of translation into every  other by means
of such rules: This is what they must all have in  common.

3.344 That which signifies in a symbol is the common feature  of all symbols
that can take its place following the rules of logical syntax.

W is claiming more here than that all languages must be  representational or
intentional; he is saying that, e.g., names in one language  must correspond
with names in another.  Further, I think he's saying that, e.g.,  signs for
items in "color space" or "music space" in any language must  themselves
somehow

share in those spaces to do their work (he talks about  gramophone grooves,
musical scores, and acoustic sounds all sharing the same  form).  If the
various

linguistic signs don't share in the appropriate range of  possibilities and
impossibilities, their syntax (or grammar) will not allow them  to perform all
the functions necessary to the linguistic roles they're to play  and they won't
properly translate any signs that DO perform such  functions.

Walto