[quickphilosophy] Re: What are objects, and what is the form of an atomic prop?

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 11:27:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Ron.

I think Griffin tries to get around the problem you pose by knocking out both
colors and locations (both spatial and temporal).  I think he allows only
(configured) batches of simples as atomic facts and only (configured) batches
of

(real) names as atomic props.  Hence, something like

"a-b-c-d"

Colors are gotten rid of by being physically broken down into configurations of
bitzy objects, their particular configuration creating this or that color, and
locations, presumably, by space being seen as nothing but a function of
relations between objects.  So, I take it Griffin thinks (that W thinks)
neither

an object being red nor an object being here (or now) could be atomic an atomic
fact.

At least I THINK that's his take....

Best,

Walto