Ostrow Sums Up the Tractatus

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 13:07:19 -0700 (PDT)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/quickphilosophy/message/123

> Walter:
> This whole issue can be seen to underlie the following important
remarks:

> At the basis of the whole modern view of the world lies the illusion
> that the so-called laws of nature are the explanations of natural
> phenomena. (6.371)

Very interesting.  I have been known to say "there are no laws of
nature"  and "scientific explanations don't explain."  I am usually
misunderstood  when I say those things.  It is looking to me as if what
Wittgenstein is  saying (in the quoted text) is at least in a similar
direction, even if  not intended in quite the same way.

Regards,
Neil