[quickphilosophy] Leibnizian Interlude

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 07:59:43 -0700 (PDT)

[sending manually because the feed to yahoo isn't working]

It's an interesting comparison.  Jumping beyond these basic assertions,
it is also interesting that Liebniz places far more emphasis on what can
be deduced about the world than about what can be observed, whereas
Wittgenstein is attached to asserting that logic contains no truths.

But then there is very litle in the quoted statements of Liebniz that
does not follow directly from Parmenides and Democritus.  The arguments
over the possibility of change were already quite well developed prior
to Plato.

What is frustrating about Wittgenstein is that he forever declines to
explain the context in which he is writing (something that is inclined
to make me think of him as rather a charlatan).

I'd certainly be inclined to see Liebniz's rationalism as epistemic,
which is, of course, Kant's complaint.

The trouble with claiming that Wittgenstein has gone beyond this and is
talking about ontology is that there seems no argument to that effect.

There seems here to be a confusing conflation between what we can say
and what can be (in some strong sense than what we say there is).  To
what extent, if any, is Wittgenstein not an idealist?  If he is an
idealist, what kind of idealist is he?

The idea that understanding is impossible without some basic (and
perhaps "real") facts sounds Davidsonian, and I don't find those
arguments persuasive.

* * *

As regards the conflict between X being red or X being green, I wonder
whether Wittgenstein regards this as a *logical* conflict?  It may well
be that he does not, and sees it as an empirical matter.  If that is so,
then the independence of the two assertions holds up in logic because
"red" and "green" are mere tokens which in logic have no particular
properties.

Martin