[quickphilosophy] Re: Fodor on Concepts IV: Circularity + Peacocke

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 19:59:44 -0000

Oh, I wanted to cite one other quote (though I know I'm beating a dead horse at
this point).  Fodor writes,

"The meanings of sentences, thoughts and the like are constructs out of the
meanings of the primitive words/concepts they contain, NOT THE OTHER WAY
AROUND.  Likewise, since you can't draw an inference unless you ALREADY
understand its premises and its conclusion, understanding a sentence is prior
to grasping its inferential role, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND."

First, as I've harped, I don't believe the BCPer has to hold that concept
possession just IS the ability to sort and/or the propensity to make the right
inferences.  Second, even if the BCPer DOES claim this identity, it doesn't
seem to me that he must require the PRIORITY of the grasping/sorting.  After
all, if they're identical, there isn't any priority of either of them (though I
suppose one may be held to be some sort of logical construct out of the
other(s)).

And again, I continue not to have much understanding of what this prior
understanding of, say, CONJUNCTION might be if it doesn't require the ability
to infer A from A & B.  I mean, does Fodor really mean to suggest that somebody
could grasp CONJUNCTION without it?

But as I've conceded all along, I don't think grasping/sorting can be
sufficient for concept possession.  It's easy to come up with counterexamples.
So what's left?  If we say one has to be able not just to grasp and sort, but
to do so "for the right reasons," Fodor will obviously want to know what those
reasons could be if they're supposed to be independent from having the concept
in question and understanding its implications.

I can't think of any good responses to this at present, myself.  But I'd love
to hear a Witter, Quinean, Davidsonian or Putnamaniac respond to this attack.
And I'm guessing there's plenty of literature out there somewhere....