[quickphilosophy] Re: Fodor on Concepts IV: Circularity

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:16:46 -0000

--- In quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ron Allen <wavelets@...> wrote:

> Heh, heh, OK, Walter, you win & I give up synonymy in favor of truth.
>
> It's true that all bachelors are unmarried men, and it's true that all
> unmarried men are bachelors.

Yes, those are true, but for Quine neither necessarily true nor analytic.

Anyhow, it seems like we're here: you and Budd think Quine's position on
translation is incoherent, while Martin, Neil and I aren't convinced.  I
suggest we agree to disagree (or to take this up again at some future date) and
finish Fodor's paper.  I think you indicated you wanted to discuss one more
argument that he makes there.

Also, I'm still waiting for volunteers to lead discussion of the first 25 and
last about 50 pages of the McTaggart.