[quickphilosophy] Re: Fodor on Concepts IV: Circularity

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 15:03:35 -0000

Thanks, Neil.  I generally agree with your view that use isn't *completely*
constitutive of meaning, but, whatever W's position might be on that, Quine's
and Davidson's are quite clearly in favor of there being nothing else to
meaning but various behaviors (or dispositions to them).  I'm curious as to how
the orthodox Quinean/Davidsonian might reply to Fodor's attack--or if he's
really done them in.  Does the Fodor argument rely on synonymy?  If so, they'd
certainly sneer at that...