[quickphilosophy] Re: Fodor on Concepts III: Other Arguments Against BCP

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 01:07:23 -0000

--- In quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ron Allen <wavelets@...> wrote:

> Hi Walter:
>
> I've been out of town and unable to devote much time to Fodor.
>
> Just an observation: I think you are reformulating Fodor's development and
> combining parts of different arguments. That's OK, though.
>
> I agree completely that he's attacking BCP as if it were committed to
> sorting and inference as sufficient conditions for concept possession, when,
> in all likelihood, they are just necessary conditons. Individually and
> conjoined, then, they are still weaker than concept possession.
>
> Would not a kind of Chinese Room Argument be relevant to this question?

It seems so to me.

>For example, suppose I had a person inside the CRA who was asked to sort and
>make inferences upon objects that were presented to the window. The little
>guy in the CRA has to sort dieseldowns and he has to make inferences about
>them. But, he just follows a set of ad hoc rules that somehow,
>coincidentally, just happen to work for the particular sequence of dieseldown
>and non-dieseldown examples we hold up in the window and for the dieseldown
>and non-dieseldown deductive problems we hold up to the window. Now, this ad
>hoc, rule-driven luck is not sufficient to say that the Room has the concept
>of a dieseldown, even though, sure enough, it made a whole handsome series of
>sortations and a pretty decent pattern of inferences.

Yes.

> Also, another thing about your reformulated argument below. In your point (2)
> you define compositionality as concepts being decomposed into smaller ones.
> This is different from Fodor, who only asserts that they add together or
> permute in some fashion, not that they decompose.

(2) doesn't require that all concepts decompose.  It just says what's supposed
to follow from concepts that do.

>  Also, the decomposition leads to an infinite regress. I either come to some
> concepts that are not compositional (and not composed of smaller ones) or I
> have compositional concepts all the way down (to minus infinity). But, if we
> don't regress, then all of our concepts are built up from atomic concepts,
> and a BCP advocate with an Atomic Propositions and Atomic Perceptions
> foundationalism underneath would not at all be unsatisfied with that result.
> If Fodor were to argue for the kind of compositionality that you seem to
> suggest here, then his Dog as such concept would be just a collection of
> atomic perceptions, better or worse known to a subject.

I take from that article that he actually is some sort of atomist.

> So, at least with your (2) below, I think that you have an infinite regress,

No, there's no regress from (2), which, again, only says what's supposed to
follow if a concept IS "decomposable."   It doesn't require that every concept
is.

and if not that, then you dissolve concepts as such into a variant acceptable
to BCP.

I don't see that. Can you explain?

I repost the argument below for easy reference.