[L] [C] [Wittrs] [blog] Anthony Ryle's Account of Wittgenstein

  • From: Squarespace Services <services@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 02:43:16 +0000 (GMT+00:00)

Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx> added Anthony Ryle's Account of
Wittgenstein:

 [continuing the series, "Wittgenstein at War, Again"]

 John Ryle was the Regius Professor Physics at Cambridge. In 1940, he was
helping Guy's Hospital in London prepare for the Blitz. He had helped
Wittgenstein get a job at the hospital around September of 1941, so he, too,
could assist with the civilian war effort.  In early 1942, John Ryle took
Wittgenstein to meet Ryle's family. There, Wittgenstein encountered the Ryle’s
14-year old son, Anthony, who recorded the following in his diary:

  “Daddy and another Austrian (?) professor called Winkenstein (spelling?)
arrived at 7:30. Daddy rather tired. Wink is awful strange – not a very good
English speaker, keeps on saying ‘I mean’ and ‘its-tolerable’ meaning
intolerable.

  [Continuing at the end of next day: -- sw] In the morning Daddy, Margaret,
goats, Tinker & I went for a walk. Frosty but sunny. Witkinstein spent the
morning with the evacuees. He thinks we’re terribly cruel to them. We spent the
afternoon argueing – he’s an impossible person everytime you say anything he
says ‘No No, that’s not the point.’ It probably isn’t his point, but it is
ours. A tiring person to listen to.

 After tea I showed him round the grounds and he entreated me to be kind to the
miserable little children – he goes far too much to the other extreme – Mommy
wants them to be good citizens, he wants them to be happy.”

 Source: Ray Monk, The Duty of Genius, 434-435.

  Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.

<http://ludwig.squarespace.com/wittrs-blog/2009/12/13/anthony-ryles-account-of-wittgenstein.html>