[quickphilosophy] 1.21 Continued

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 08:09:27 -0700 (PDT)

 Hi Martin:

I don't think Wittgenstein is so much an *idealist* here in the 'Tractatus' as
he is a *rationalist* .

If I may be so blunt--and I know that we don't agree too often on things
philosophical- -you may be confusing the two tendencies in this case. Or,
perhaps it's just a symptom of how the discussion has evolved. Let me expound.
Or just quote. Sorry; this is how "it must be" for now.

"A philosopher is an idealist if and only if they believe that the physical
world exists *either* (1) only as an object for mind, *or* (2) only as a
content

of mind, *or* (3) only as something itself somehow mental in its true
character,

a disjunction we shall sum up as the thesis that the physical is derivative
from

mind." (T.L.S. Sprigge in 'Idealism,' "Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy,"
E.

Craig,  ed.)

OK, now, THAT IS NOT what Wittgenstein is doing in the opening points of the
TLP. He is making statements about objects and states of affairs, not making
statements about mental constructs, let alone their linguistic formulations in
terms of propositions. These are metaphysical statements.

Indeed, "Rationalism is the view that reason, as opposed to, say, sense
experience, divine revelation or reliance on institutional authority, plays a
dominant role in our attempt to gain knowledge."

In the TLP, W. is saying initially that there is a close match between logical
form and physical form, even down to the atomic level, so that our reasoning
mechanisms match our understandings of objects and their properties in the
world. But this is not to say that our reasoning mechanisms are the world.
Wittgenstein is rationalist, if anything, not  idealist.

Thanks!
--Ron