[quickphilosophy] Re: 1.12; 1.13; 1.2 & 1.21

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 11:01:13 -0000

--- In quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Brampton <martin.lists@...>
wrote:

> It's tendentious to introduce foundationalism.  (Is there a coherent
> doctrine that falls under that title?  Isn't the belief that statements
> are made true by "facts" a kind of foundationalism?)

I think Susan Haack's 'foundherentism' is a coherent doctrine (no pun
intended!).  I think it allows for truth-making by facts without there being
any sort of "ultimate warrant" that cannot be questioned.

> An explanation works only if it uses terms that are understood by all
> relevant parties.  This is true even if someone is a foundationalist.
> Unless you are supposing that a foundationalist must also be a
> thoroughgoing sceptic, then presumably even foundationalists understand
> some terms.

Yes, I don't see why foundationalists mustn't understand any terms.

> The trouble is, I don't even know what "facts" are being claimed to be,
> if they aren't true statements (which is what the dictionary tells me
> they are).

I think that's a bad definition.  Here are some better ones, from
dictionary.com:

?noun
1.
something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in
fact.
2.
something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.
3.
a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true:
Scientists gather facts about plant growth.
4.
something said to be true or supposed to have happened: The facts given by the
witness are highly questionable.
5.
Law . Often, facts. an actual or alleged event or circumstance, as
distinguished from its legal effect or consequence. Compare question of fact,
question of law.

> Is there a word that is generally agreed to cover what, if
> anything, makes statements true?
>
> The deeper trouble is that the assumption of the existence of "facts"
> that are not simply true statements involves layers of philosophical
> assumptions - it can't be taken as an innocent assumption of an obvious
> neutral starting point.
>
> As witnessed by the possibility of there being people who can't see any
> meaning to claims that "facts" make statements true.  Since the TLP
> doesn't unpack the philosophical assumptions in which it is couched (and
> indeed leaves them obscure) it is hard to know what, if anything, it
> tells us.  As witnessed by the volume of commentary and the lack of much
> agreement on major points!
>
> If a theory is not evaluable through some kind of rational discussion,
> is it a viable theory?

I don't know of any important work of philosophy that hasn't produced a volume
of commentary.  I don't think that alone should be considered a sort of
condemnation.  It's clearly hard to understand, and at times seems
intentionally obscure, but I think that's also true of Kant.  And Aristotle is
no day at the beach, either, IMO.