[Wittrs] Re: reducing your toothache

  • From: "SWM" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 15:15:23 -0000

> "Quining Qualia" by Daniel Dennett
> http://www.uoguelph.ca/~abailey/Resources/Dennetta.pdf
>
> -gts

Thanks for the link. I believe it will be instructive to look closely at the
text on this list.

Early on he writes:

"Which idea of qualia am I trying to extirpate? Everything real has properties,
and since I don't deny the reality of conscious experience, I grant that
conscious experience has properties. I grant moreover that each person's states
of consciousness have properties in virtue of which those states have the
experiential content that they do. That is to say, whenever someone experiences
something as being one way rather than another, this is true in virtue of some
property of something happening in them at the time, but these properties are
so unlike the properties traditionally imputed to consciousness that it would
be grossly misleading to call any of them the long-sought qualia. Qualia are
supposed to be special properties, in some hard-to-define way. My claim--which
can only come into focus as we proceed--is that conscious experience has no
properties that are special in any of the ways qualia have been supposed to be
special."

Note that in doing so he is not denying experience or its subjectiveness. He is
arguing against relying on a concept of something called "qualia" to account
for experience (which, of course, is the point I have made to you on this.)

Skipping down a bit:

"Beer tastes different to the experienced beer drinker. If beer went on tasting
to me the way the first sip tasted, I would never have gone on drinking beer!
Or to put the same point the other way around, if my first sip of beer had
tasted to me the way my most recent sip just tasted, I would never have had to
acquire the taste in the first place! I would have loved the first sip as much
as the one I just enjoyed.

"If we let this speech pass, we must admit that beer is not an acquired taste.
No one comes to enjoy the way the first sip tasted. Instead, prolonged beer
drinking leads people to experience a taste they enjoy, but precisely their
enjoying the taste guarantees that it is not the taste they first experienced.
Endnote 9

"But this conclusion, if it is accepted, wreaks havoc of a different sort with
the traditional philosophical view of qualia. For if it is admitted that one's
attitudes towards, or reactions to, experiences are in any way and in any
degree constitutive of their experiential qualities, so that a change in
reactivity amounts to or guarantees a change in the property, then those
properties, those 'qualitative or phenomenal features,' cease to be 'intrinsic'
properties, and in fact become paradigmatically extrinsic, relational
properties."

Now, because this is a Wittgenstein oriented list, I think it's useful to also
include the following from that paper:

". . . Why does it seem that our conscious experiences have ineffable
properties? Because they do have practically ineffable properties. Suppose, in
intuition pump #13: the osprey cry, that I have never heard the cry of an
osprey, even in a recording, but know roughly, from reading my bird books, what
to listen for: "a series of short, sharp, cheeping whistles, cheep, cheep or
chewk chewk, etc; sounds annoyed." (Peterson, 1947) (or words to that effect or
better). The verbal description gives me a partial confinement of the logical
space of possible bird cries. On its basis I can rule out many bird calls I
have heard or might hear, but there is still a broad range of
discriminable-by-me possibilities within which the actuality lies hidden from
me like a needle in a haystack.

"Then one day, armed with both my verbal description and my binoculars, I
identify an osprey visually, and then hear its cry. So that's what it sounds
like, I say to myself, ostending--it seems--a particular mental complex of
intrinsic, ineffable qualia. I dub the complex 'S' (pace Wittgenstein),
rehearse it in short term
memory, check it against the bird book descriptions, and see that while the
verbal descriptions are true, accuurate and even poetically evocative--I decide
I could not do better with a thousand words--they still fall short of capturing
the qualia-complex I have called S. In fact, that is why I need the neologisim,
'S', to refer directly to the ineffable property I cannot pick out by
description. My perceptual experience has pinpointed for me the location of the
osprey cry in the logical space of possibilities in a way verbal
description could not.

"But tempting as this view of matters is, it is overstated. First of all, it is
obvious that from a single experience of this sort I don't--can't--know how to
generalize to other osprey calls. Would a cry that
differed only in being half an octave higher also be an osprey call? That is an
empirical, ornithological question for which my experience provides scant
evidence. But moreover--and this is a psychological, not ornithological
matter--I don't and can't know, from a single such experience, which physical
variations and constancies in stimuli would produce an indistinguishable
experience in me. Nor can I know whether I would react the same (have the same
experience) if I were presented with what was, by all physical measures, a
re-stimulation identical to the first. I cannot know the modulating effect, if
any, of variations in my body (or psyche).

"This inscrutability of projection is surely one of the sources of plausibility
for Wittgenstein's skepticism regarding the possibility of a private language.

"'Wittgenstein emphasizes that ostensive definitions are always in principle
capable of being misunderstood, even the ostensive definition of a color word
such as "sepia". How someone understands the word is exhibited in the way
someone goes on, "the use that he makes of the word defined". One may go on in
the right way given a purely minimal explanation, while on the other hand one
may go on in another way no matter how many clarifications are added, since
these too can be misunderstood . . . (Kripke, 1982, p.83. See also pp. 40-46.)'"

Dennett, concluding the paper:

"So when we look one last time at our original characterization of qualia, as
ineffable, intrinsic, private, directly apprehensible properties of experience,
we find that there is nothing to fill the bill. In their place are relatively
or practically ineffable public properties we can refer to indirectly via
reference to our private
property-detectors-- private only in the sense of idiosyncratic. And insofar as
we wish to cling to our subjective authority about the occurrence within us of
states of certain types or with certain properties, we can have some
authority--not infallibility or incorrigibility, but something better than
sheer guessing--but
only if we restrict ourselves to relational, extrinsic properties like the
power of certain internal states of ours to provoke acts of apparent re-
identification. So contrary to what seems obvious at first blush, there simply
are no qualia at all. Endnote 14"

My point, Gordon, is that Dennett does not deny experience (note that this is
all about experiences!). He denies a way of explaining it, a way that depends
on the positing of some special quality that is purely the mental part of the
information flow into and out of our brains that results in the experiences we
have.

It is a mistake to suppose that by his somewhat provocative attack on the
concept of "qualia" he is thereby saying that you and I and he, himself, really
don't experience anything at all!