[Wittrs] Re: reducing your toothache

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 07:58:28 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Wed, 3/24/10, SWM <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> His denial of "qualia" is a denial that we have to posit a
> special kind of mental entity to explain the occurrence of
> subjective experience.

Right, and eliminative materialists like Dennett consider mental entities like
qualia as "special" only because they suffer from Cartesian hangovers.

Like Descartes, they consider the mental qua mental as distinct from the
material qua material. Because they unwittingly play that Cartesian language
game, and because they want to present a supposed "scientific" point of view
devoid of the supposed "special" mental phenomena, they attempt to eliminate
the mental in favor of the material. They defy common sense.