[Wittrs] Re: mathematics threads, with autobio (Urner)

  • From: "kirby_urner" <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 08:12:45 -0000

> > > MY PHILOSOPHICAL STUDIES
> >
> > > FULLER'S PHILOSOPHY
> >
> > > TETRAHEDRAL MENSURATION

http://groups.google.com/group/mathfuture/browse_thread/thread/4aa4b568e87ba90b/597020806c5af5a7?hl=en#

One might easily imagine a tropical island paradise where
the natives pack together three coconuts (as idealized
equal-radius spheres) and call that a unit of area, pack
together four coconuts (as a tetrahedron) and call that
a unit of volume. Why not study this island culture then,
explore the consequences of this more primitive topological
beginning? Might this civilization turn out to be more
advanced than our own? Or perhaps we should look at
Martian Math? Here in Oregon, we're looking at both
of these storyboards as useful backdrops for future
mathcasts (animations, cartoons).

http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2047973&tstart=0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadray_coordinates