[Wittrs] Re: are objects causal

  • From: "jrstern" <jrstern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 20:21:34 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> I do not subscribe to anything I would call "physicalism" because, frankly, I
> just don't know how the world REALLY is.

An important point.

Neither do I.

I have no ontological theory of the world.

What I know to be physical is the computer, and the human agent.

And I have this in common with Searle, he too insists on a physicalist theory
for a physical (biological) agent, he just insists on an unknown physics.

Fodor sort of does in that he insists on a naturalist theory and points out
that Chomsky does not, entirely - but then Fodor goes and supports goofy ideas
like innateness right out of Chomsky, and there it goes again.

Cogito ergo physicalism.

Josh