[Wittrs] Wittgenstein's philo on other lists (Urner postings)

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 13:22:03 -0800

Recent expositions of Wittgenstein's later philosophy by K. Urner,
in the context of on-line dialogs in public archives.

1. More Wittgenstein on math-teach (re family resemblance, purpose of
investigations):

Wittgenstein encourages laymen, not-philosophers, to feel competent
and authorized to undertake their own investigations, including into
the foundations of mathematics.

You don't need to be a "doctor of philosophy" with mastery over some
particular language game or logic (likely abstruse and arcane, cryptic
and intimidating by design), to explore these foundations, because
ultimately that's not what "foundations" consist of.

Ordinary language, the every day world, is what's to bounce off.

On the other hand, the ordinary world consists of intricate patterns
(like the particle zoo) and designs (like lacework on a mosque) so in
keeping it experiential, we don't lose our natural mathematical
capabilities at the end of the day, and some of us grow into becoming
the next contributors to the mathematical and/or philosophical
literature.

Source:  http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7004829&tstart=0

2. More Wittgenstein on synergeo (re concepts of frequency, understanding):

In the humanities, we have a much higher tolerance for individual
authors designing their own language, although mathematics certainly
allows and encourages this as well. Internal consistency is what
we look for, oft times, i.e. do we get a sense of the rules by which
this author uses these terms, such that we might anticipate and/or
continue along the same lines? What we call "understanding" has a lot
to do with being able to "follow the same rules". This is what
Wittgenstein investigates, in seeking to look at what "understanding"
means (among many other important words).

He does *not* take the easy and superficial route of saying something
like "understanding is a process in the brain". Indeed, by the time
one has understood Wittgenstein, one no longer has any such
superstitious belief in "the brain process" of understanding (such
mental images may be quite misleading, in comparison with actual
usage patterns, which one my investigate simply by calling to mind
actual instances of when and how words get used).

Kirby