[Wittrs] Re: Wittgenstein on Inner/Outer and Behaviorism

  • From: "SWM" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 17:55:12 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@...> wrote:

> (Reply to Stuart)
>
> ... I had not realized that these remarks on psychology were so voluminous.
> All I have on my shelf are the Remarks on the Philosophy of Psychology,
> Volume II. I'm such an idiot, I didn't even realize that they were "Volume
> II."

> <snip>

> Anywhoo, will read "latest writings" when it comes in the mail!
>
> Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.

Yes, we do differ on the relative value of some of his pre-pub material. I
hopped over to amazon and did some inside the book searches and, frankly, was a
little disappointed with what I saw. Of course, it's too piecemeal to form any
kind of serious judgment but it does remind me that a lot of Wittgenstein's
work-in-progress stuff got published after his death (as you know my in-depth
readings were done mostly in the sixties and very early seventies when much
less was available) and so is not always a reliable picture of his best
thinking.

My interest at this point is more to do with how his approach to questions of
subjectness might differ or support some of the positions currently being
discussed. That's why I put a new poll up on this for those with access to it
and a mind to reply. (I do note that Yahoo seems to have introduced a new
feature that mixes up the order in which we pose the questions. This may be
helpful in getting a more reliable response but I think it also makes it harder
to follow the possible answers.)

Anyway, I look forward to your comments on the new book (though I see from
amazon that it's been published at least since 1994 so newness is only relative
here).