[Wittrs] Re: Who beat Kasparov?

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 16:43:07 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sat, 3/20/10, jrstern <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Let me state it more clearly: the mind, according to strong
> AI, must be hosted on some kind of mechanical system.
> With which point Searle agrees, while somehow asserting that
> electronic computers are the wrong kind of mechanical system
> and the brain is the right kind of mechanical system.

You have Searle wrong. He does not agree that the mind "must be hosted on some
kind of mechanical system".

He disagrees with your implied assumption that any kind of substrate, organic
or otherwise, can "host" a mind.

He rejects not only the dualistic theory that digital computers can host minds,
but also the equivalent dualistic theory that organic brains host minds. And he
rejects both theories for the same reason: only a dualist would consider the
mind as something "hosted".