[Wittrs] Re: Who beat Kasparov?

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 07:44:05 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Fri, 3/19/10, SWM <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dennett's point about "intentionality" strikes me as pretty
> sharp. There is nothing there in an important sense.

He's an eliminativist, as I've said. He denies the reality of intentionality,
albeit in a subtle fashion. For this reason he sees no important difference
between Kasparov and Deep Blue. Also for this reason he calls Searle a dualist.
But to eliminative materialists like Dennett, everyone looks like a dualist,
including many (sane) materialists like Searle.

Funny thing about it is that Dennett in his rush to avoid the stigma of dualism
makes himself into one. In fact many materialists do. More later...