[Wittrs] Re: What the Man in the Room Knows (and when does he know it?)

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 21:01:03 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "gabuddabout" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> The point is that there might be available (and I already know you
> are sketical precisely where Searle isn't in this regard--let that
> be a funny between us that Stuart is incapable of grasping or not)
> a pretty swiffy program that passes a Turing test.

That's not actually relevant.

What you would need is a "swiffy" program for the Turing test that  is
small enough that Searle can internalize it, and that requires  so
little computation, that Searle's internalized version can pass  the
Turing test at a rate of answering questions that is comparable  to
normal human response times.

It just is not possible.

Regards,
Neil