[Wittrs] Re: What is Making a Conflation, er, a Distinction, Alex?

  • From: "SWM" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 00:37:27 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "gabuddabout" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> Gordon writes:
>
> > According to the systems reply, the room itself can understand the symbols
> solely from manipulating them according to their shapes, or from having some
> entity within the room manipulate them according to their shapes.
>

> Stuart responds:
>

> "The point of the systems reply is to note that consciousness, or
> understanding (a feature of consciousness), may be a system level property
> rather than a property of any of the processes making up the system."
>

> And that is different from Searle how?!!!!!!!!

Because Searle says there is no understanding in the CR because nothing in it
understands and the room doesn't either. The room doesn't, of course, because
qua a system it is inadequately specked. Nothing in the room understands
because understanding is not a basic property of any given element but a
function of a sufficiently robust system.

Searle seems to agree with this re: brains but then falls away from it with
regard to computers. Of course he inadequately explicates/conceives of how
brains might do it and so gets by on an inarticulated supposition re: brains,
thereby masking the contradiction (that what he grants for brains he denies for
computers -- if it's good for the goose it's good for the gander and vice versa
but Searle wants to deny that).

> Stuart continues:
>
> "The persistent refusal to
> consider this possibility (the fruit of a fixation on the irreducibility of
> mental features) makes the system reply seem off the mark to Searlean
> supporters of the CRA like you, Gordon."
>

> Well, sounds like you're an idiot.  You are actually trying to conclude that
> Searle doesn't consider a possibility which he obviously does.

Now you're pissing me off again, Budd. I will try to hold back but if you are
again going to start with the insults . . .

It's plain to me, and has been for some time, that you really don't grasp what
I've been saying. But you conclude that "Hauser is a dud". Remarkable!

> Walter at Analytic was right on the money.  Arguing with you is like arguing
> with a shoe.

Walter made some good arguments even if I think he made some blunders as well.
You have yet to make even one good argument.

> Let me help you out.  I'm going to keep my shoe on while kicking myself in
> the ass.  This surely has about the same chance of enlightening you than
> anything I may have previously typed.
>
> And I'm not joking.  You are to understand in no uncertain terms that it has
> been hilarious arguing with you.  I love it that you have painted yourself
> into a position where you have to be either joking or benighted.

You really are at sea here, aren't you? I'm amazed that Neil keeps trying to
engage with you. But then he probably doesn't have the history I have with you
and doesn't know what he's in for.

> Congratulations for being able to say:  Hey, did you see how long I made him
> type?
>
> But did you?
>
> Cheers,
> Budd

Ah, a waste of time then, after all, just as I have come to expect with  you.
Good thing I didn't bother to respond to your earlier missive. What a colosssal
waste of time THAT would have been.