[Wittrs] Re: What Is Ontological Dualism?

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 23:41:21 -0000

>> There's no need for me to define "solely by virtue of running a
>> program," as that is not an important distinction for me. The focus
>> on the CPU comes from focus in Searle's argument.

> where else would a program execute but in the CPU (or, some
> processing unit if there are more than one)?

A computation is defined by the sequence of operations (the sequence  of
changes to the system as a whole).  That we use a central  processor to
mediate those operations is merely an artifact of how  we implement
computation.

The first "computer" that I ever programmed consisted of a room full  of
clerks, each carrying out part of the operations with the aid  of
mechanical calculating machines.  There was no central processor  in
that "computer."

> you were the one claiming that the CRA did not prove anything about
> whether the 'system' experienced subjective experiences.

Person X claims to prove theorem A.  I point out that the proof  is
defective.  It does not follow that I am required to prove the  converse
of A.  It does not even follow that I believe A is false.  It only
follows that the claimed proof is defective.

Regards,
Neil