[Wittrs] Re: What Is Ontological Dualism?

  • From: "BruceD" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 21:04:26 -0000

> Dennett essentially denies the reality of toothaches, and of all
qualia,

If he did, then he wouldn't have anything to eliminate. As I see it, he
wants to eliminate their special status in which they are not causally
related to the physical world of public objects.

>...further denies intentionality as an intrinsic feature of human
minds.

As I see it, he holds that intentions are a variety of causes. Let's see
if I have Stuart right here. For him, my intention to go to the movies
caused me to do so. That is to say my brain moved my legs. In this
account the "I" disappears. The ghost has been dispelled but at the cost
of making intentionality a sham.

bruce