[Wittrs] Re: What Is Ontological Dualism?

  • From: "SWM" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 19:09:32 -0000

> --- On Sun, 4/11/10, SWM <wittrsamr@...> wrote:
>
> > > Do you have toothaches, and do you consider them real?
> > If yes then you can call yourself a dualist too, as you
> > (mis)define the word.
> > >
> > > -gts
> >
> > Explaining the occurrence of subjective experiences in
> > physical terms is not dualism. You mistake the explicit
> > recognition of subjective experience with dualism which is
> > about how we account for its presence in the universe.
>

> You didn't answer my question, Stuart.
>
> Have you ever had a toothache, and did you consider it real?

That's because it's irrelevant to the issue at hand. Moreover, you should
already know the answer from everything I've already said here about Dennett's
position -- and mine.

> I don't want to know if you have an explanation in physical terms for your
> toothaches, i.e, I don't want to know if you can offer up a causal reduction
> stated in the third-person. I want to know if you have ever had a toothache
> in the first-person, and if you considered it real.
>
> -gts

Then you are asking the wrong question as this is precisely about how we
explain the occurrence of subjectiveness in the world, of minds in the
universe, of understanding in a physical brain, etc., etc.