[Wittrs] Strawson on Experience and Experiencers

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 06:46:22 -0500

Cayuse wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>unless you can show that there is experience that is unexperienced by
>>anything at all, you have no basis for denying that experience implies
>>an experiencer.

>What is it about the experienceR that permits us to claim that it
>experienceS (or "has") this experience

you clearly want to say that there is no experiencer; and, equally
clearly, you are unable to explain how there can be experience that is
unexperienced by anything; so, to distract attention from your failure,
you stamp your feet to insist on speculating as to what it is about the
experiencer (whose existence you deny) that would permit claiming that
the experiencer has experiences --- if there was an experiencer which
(according to you) there isn't.

that's just gameplaying posing as philosophy.

instead of explaining how your view (that there is no experiencer of
afterimages) is possible, you distract attention from your failure to
explain. oh, wait. I forgot. you excused your failure to explain by
claiming that you have successfully transcended the limits of
explanation.

that's just ego-centric gameplaying.