[Wittrs] Strawson on Experience and Experiencers

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 07:05:10 -0500

Cayuse wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>after all is said and done, if I am unable to say that I am the
>>experiencer of the afterimages that I induce, I would have no basis
>>for saying that I am experienced in the skill of inducing
>>afterimages; or, that I am the experiencer of my experience in the
>>skill of inducing afterimages.

>When we talk about experience as something gained through the
>practising of a new skill, then this mutual relationship and
>interdependence hold up, but to use the word as Chalmers does in
>reference to what he calls the "hard problem" (i.e. conscious
>experience) is to engage in a very different language game.

it seems that saying 'I am the experiencer of all my experience at
inducing afterimages' is acceptable to you but saying 'I am the
experiencer of the afterimages I induce'.

in ordinary language both are acceptable. if you feel that there is
something in Chalmers' work that provides a basis for denying the second
claim; then, don't keep us in suspense. cite the passage that gave you
the idea that Chalmers would claim that saying 'I am the experiencer of
the afterimages I induce' is somehow illegitimate.