[Wittrs] Strawson on Experience and Experiencers

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 05:29:01 -0500

Cayuse wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>Chalmers posed the hard problem by unconflating two distinct language
>>games: the I as a physical object (an organism in its habitat); and,
>>the I as self-experiencing experiencer.

>Where does he say this?

well, of course, he doesn't use those words; but, if you follow his
arguments in favor of property dualism, it's clear that he distinguishes
the physical from the phenomenal.

according to Chalmers, zombies are conceivable; and, therefore, the
phenomenal ('mental' in his vocabulary) supervenes on the physical. it's
a bonus whose origin is yet to be explained.