[Wittrs] Strawson on Experience and Experiencers

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 19:42:54 -0500

let me see if I can summarize the discourse to this point.

I claimed that "there is experience and there is experiencing; but, no
way to explain that fact without inferring that there is an experiencer"
and alluded to the failure your earlier argument to the contrary.

you challenged my evaluation (that your argument failed miserably). I
pointed out that you admitted that there is experiencing an afterimage;
and, that you were unable to explain how it was possible that there is
experiencing an afterimage while there is nothing experiencing an
afterimage.

your reply is "It will simply not do to argue that an experienceR exists
by virtue of the claim that it experienceS (or "has") experience".

your response is barely cogent; and, does nothing to carry your burden:
unless you can show that there is experience that is unexperienced by
anything at all, experience implies an experiencer.

Joe