[Wittrs] Strawson on Experience and Experiencers

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 07:06:05 -0500

BruceD wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>Strawson on Experience and Experiencers

>Is there a typo here or am I not following this? "There cannot be
>experience with a subject of experience" (without a subject of
>experience?)

yes. there was a typo. The quote should read:

in _Mental Reality_, Second Ed., Galen Strawson quotes Frege as saying
"An experience is impossible without an experiencer" and then comments:
"This is a necessary truth. ... There cannot be experience without a
subject of experience, because experience is necessarily for someone or
something --- an experiencer or subject of experience." [p. 129]

>What is the relationship between the experience and the experiencer?

an experiencer experiences experiences?

an experiencer has experiences?

Joe