[Wittrs] Re: Strawson on Experience and Experiencers

  • From: "BruceD" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 19:48:41 -0000

>  >What is the relationship between the experience and the experiencer?
>
> an experiencer experiences experiences?
>
> an experiencer has experiences?

Which is to say, would you agree, that the relationship between the
experiencer and what is experienced is not causal, but, let's say,
instrumental (in the sense of it suits my purpose to take them to be)?

If so, then, to take Stuart's example, the relationship between water
molecules and brain changes is causal, but the relationship between what
I take to be water and take to feeling wet, is not causal.

The $64 billion question is the relationship between the the two
relationships. One possibility is no relationship. What is the
relationship between light waves and light particles?

bruce