[Wittrs] Strawson on Experience and Experiencers

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 14:37:31 -0500

Strawson on Experience and Experiencers

in _Mental Reality_, Second Ed., Galen Strawson quotes Frege as saying
"An experience is impossible without an experiencer" and then comments:

"This is a necessary truth. ... There cannot be experience with a
subject of experience, because experience is necessarily for someone or
something --- an experiencer or subject of experience." [p. 129]

since this proposition (that experience implies an experiencer) has
occasionally been a topic on this list, I thought I'd invite comments on
Strawson's recognition of this principle (which he has dubbed "Frege's
Thesis").

Joe