[Wittrs] Re: Semantics, Meaning, Understanding and Consciousness

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 07:00:10 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sun, 3/28/10, SWM <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As to the claim that "we will never know from the
> experiment if programs cause consciousness", if that is
> Searle's new position, then the whole CRA is rendered
> pointless.

Not so. The experiment serves to illustrate the third axiom of the CRA.

After seeing the truth of the third axiom, we combine that knowledge with
knowledge of the first two axioms and conclude that programs don't cause what
we mean by "having a mind", where it means "having mental contents".

Had Searle not written the experiment for general audiences, he might have
stated C1 more clearly as "Programs are neither constitutive of nor sufficient
for intentionality."

-gts