[Wittrs] Re: Searle's CRA shows nothing

  • From: "gabuddabout" <gabuddabout@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:38:50 -0000

--- In WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "iro3isdx" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jrstern" <jrstern@> wrote:
>

> > Those of us who support the systems reply, don't believe CRA shows
> > much of anything.
>
> Quite right.
>
> As I read through this thread, I get the impression that some  people do
> not understand the systems reply.  Incidently, it was my  impression
> from what Searle writes, that he does not understand  the systems reply
> either - he seems to see it as an attempt at a  sneaky end run around
> his argument.
>
> Regards,
> Neil

My reaction was to think they either contradicted themselves or changed the
subject into a subject that Searle wasn't arguing against.  Of course, there's
the possibility that a certain waffling may happen when they shift back and
forth between changing the subject and contradicting the original strong AI
thesis.

Cheers,
Budd