[Wittrs] Re: Searle's CRA shows nothing

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 18:00:22 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sun, 3/14/10, jrstern <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Those of us who support the systems reply, don't believe
> CRA shows much of anything.

Searle responds to his systems reply critics by letting the man in the room
internalize the rule book (the program) and all the other trappings of the
room. The man becomes the room/system, yet still he does not understand a word
of Chinese.

> Let's see if anybody knows anything about anything.
>
> How does my computer "attach meanings" to variables in my
> Java programs?
>
> And if you would answer that it doesn't, then what the heck
> is the point of a program, or a computer?

Human operators attach meanings to the symbols their computers manipulate.