[Wittrs] Re: Searle's CRA shows nothing

  • From: "jrstern" <jrstern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 00:52:17 -0000

> > Well yes, of course, but the question before us is HOW does
> > the brain do that, not WHETHER it does that and
>
> Nobody in 2010 knows how the brain attaches meanings to symbols.

Nobody in 2010 knows how the brain does much of anything, so I would very much
hesitate to say this is probative about how things do work.

>However the CRA illustrates very clearly that the brain cannot accomplish this
>feat solely by manipulating symbols according to syntactic rules.

Those of us who support the systems reply, don't believe CRA shows much of
anything.

> And because we know that software/hardware systems can do no more than
> manipulate symbols according to syntactic rules, we know software/hardware
> systems cannot attach meanings to symbols the way brains do.
>
> If software/hardware systems cannot attach meanings to symbols then strong AI
> = false.

Let's see if anybody knows anything about anything.

How does my computer "attach meanings" to variables in my Java programs?

And if you would answer that it doesn't, then what the heck is the point of a
program, or a computer?

Josh