[Wittrs] Searle meets Mary

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 16:17:41 -0800 (PST)

Consider Frank Jackson's story about Mary the color scientist as it relates to
Searle:

While living in a black & white room, Mary the scientist learns every possible
physical fact about the color red and about the perception of red in the brain.
She then leaves her room and sees the color red for the first time.

Property dualists might say that upon seeing red for the first time, Mary
acquires new knowledge of something non-physical.

Let us say that Mary embraces property dualism for that reason. She concludes
that because she knew everything physical about red and its perception, and
because she learned something new when she finally saw the color red, that
matter must have non-physical properties.

I wonder how Searle would respond to Mary. In my reading of Searle I do not see
how he might answer. Anyone?