[Wittrs] Re: SWM on causation

  • From: "BruceD" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 05:13:00 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> How can your brain cause you to do this or that?

I'm puzzled by the question. You insist brains cause consciousness. And
being conscious means doing this or that. If the brain causes
consciousness, it causes doing this or that.

> To think about turning, as in a wheel turning, is not to think about
two entities: the wheel and the turning.

Right! It is to think about one entity in two positions. But
consciousness is not any position of brain!

> This is why I keep noting that you are thinking of consciousness as if
it were entity-like ... But it is your picture, not mine.

Which makes your position quite mysterious. You start with a literal
thing, a brain, and then it causes something non-literal, an abstraction
that we attribute to people.

Can a literal thing cause an abstraction attribution? When someone says
"the morning sun causes me to have a good day" is it like saying "the
morning sun causes the birds to chirp?"

bruce