[Wittrs] Re: Proper Names --Wittgenstein, Russell, Kripke

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 15:43:00 -0800 (PST)

... yes, I remember segments of that discussion. I believe it was over the
difficulty of the idea you might have had about what a "referent" was. You were
saying, I think, that N could stand for any persons so named, and Walter was
emphasizing that N was only standing for one of those persons. Wittgenstein's
view doesn't dispute what "reference" means in this context. Wittgenstein isn't
arguing that N stands for anyone so named (the way, e.g., "chair" does). His
view appears to be premised on the idea that the name and its bearer are not
identical. And that what a name does (to or about any discreet bearer) is a
function of what sense the name is playing in the language game.

One wants to say of words like proper names and of words like "is," the
language game is TIGHT one. Imagine playing Charades versus the game of
Operation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_(game). Proper Names is more
like Operation.  What one is doing to or about the bearer takes place
within more limited confines.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University