[Wittrs] Re: Originalism, "Arms," and Family Resemblance

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: conlawprof@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 21:28:06 -0800 (PST)

(Michael)

... these are good questions. A couple of comments.

1. The point that is being objected to is when a person confuses an example of
a word with its meaning. And also when they compound the problem by believing
that, if it's the framer's example, the issue goes away. (It actually gets
worse).

 So let's take several examples: "chair," "liberty," "lunch," "game,"
"speech,", and "food," If you found that the framing generation selected an
example of each, it would be a fallacy to take this example as being "the
original meaning of" chair, liberty, lunch, game, speech or food. The meaning
of these words is never a single  example of them, because the words are family
resemblance terms.

Imagine that most in the framing generation said the following of something our
generation generally called a chair (e.g., a living-room beanbag): "that's not
a chair!" Under such circumstances, it would NOT be the case that either of us
disagreed with the meaning of "chair" or that we had "separate meanings."
Rather, it would only be that we differed over which examples we liked or
decided to include. But in such cases of disagreement, both of us understand
what "chair" stands for in the language game perfectly well (a seating-utility
device of some sort). Please note that, in law, it is only "chair"  that is
passed along to the next generation, not the examples (protocol) of it. Imagine
Patrick Henry and Dr. King disagreeing over whether X counted as "liberty."
This disagreement would not be over what "liberty" means in language; rather,
it would be over whether this case or example should count. If generations want
to regiment progeny with
 regard to the TYPE of chairs or the EXAMPLES of liberty, they need to pass
along language different than "chair" or "liberty" -- they need, in short,
language that speaks to the level of protocol (of examples).

Otherwise, such words operate in language the same then as they do now. They
say, in essence, "pick a member of the family" or "select your example of it."

2.  Nothing I have ever said would suggest that anthropology or historicism
should never be used for understanding language. The use here would be the
same, I suppose, as dictionaries. Indeed, if the language culture changes
significantly -- of or a use is idiosyncratic -- you need to consult such
things. Example: Plato's use of "the forms." The issue here would be to avoid
polysemy or to catch a colloquialism or a local parlance, of some sort. But
once both of us know what family resemblance we are dealing with -- "chair,"
"game," "lunch," etc. -- historicism has come to an end in terms of stating
language meaning.

3. Please note that we might use all sorts of historicism as suggestive
guidance to tell us WHICH chair, liberty, etc., to pick. My point is only that
the pick is OURS. And we are not violating either language or law when we pick
an example different or even objected to by those who preceded us. So my view
isn't "don't use history." It is: quit telling us that the original meaning of
the constitution is the examples picked by the framing generation. If
any parent of any generation has ANYTHING relevant to add to our lives, let it
come through whatever inherent wisdom it offers rather than through both a
language fallacy and an ideological program.  Any originalism (or tradition)
that ever comes to us must do so on its own making.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University
Personal Website: http://seanwilson.org