[Wittrs] Re: Originalism, "Arms," and Family Resemblance

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: conlawprof@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 20:14:53 -0800 (PST)

(Mark)

.. a couple of comments.  (Not intended to convert anyone, just to share).

1. I haven't proposed a method for analyzing language. I'm Wittgensteinian; we
don't do that. In fact, what I have tried to get you to see is that you are the
one who is proposing an orthodoxy here. One does not need a method or
orientation for knowing family resemblance terms; that's precisely their
beauty. In fact, if you try to impose an orthodoxy, you end up creating
an ideology of some sort. At some point, you originalists are going to have to
come to terms with the fact that your constitution is framed in an ordinary and
general parlance. And that there is absolutely nothing in language which would
say that the meaning of such words are found in any example of them chosen by
people at any discreet point in time.

2. I also must note two things here. The real effect that neo-originalism has
upon ordinary words is to invent a belief system that can transform them into
technical or jargonized words. But because they are not, in fact, these kinds
of words in the language culture, what this amounts to is turning them into a
kind of secret code. Imagine someone saying that the meaning of "lunch" is what
the founders ate. Or that, the original meaning of "food"  included a heavy
diet of corn. If one accepts this, these words now have a sort of meaning that
resembles a secret-code or secret-society of some sort. It feels like it
confuses citizenship with membership in the Masonic Lodge or something. (The
lawyers are here to tell us the secret Masonic meaning of "arms" and "speech"
after we put on our lodge hats).

Note also that this desire for technicality and precision in law is a product
of the positivistic age. That is, you originalists today who promote this are a
product of the current, post-industrial, post-Roosevelt, positivistic
legal regime. So you expect "law" to regiment in the way, say, medicine does.
You want phrases like "Schedule-II Controlled Substance" that has its meaning
spelled out in paragraph (a), sub-section what-not. What you want in a way is
to have you cognition regimented by words. You want law to tell you what to do.
That's fine. That's all well and good.

But the problem is that your constitution doesn't do that with its language. So
you have to invent a way to prevent others from giving it the meaning LANGUAGE
ALLOWS. Now, what troubles me about this is that, all the while, you pretend to
be guarding its meaning. You pretend as if eating something other than
the framer's lunch is somehow injurious to "lunch." This is the part that
surely has to stop.

3. This idea that following a new example of an ordinary word is somehow
"pouring new meaning" into the word is not something that can be supported in
linguistics. There is no violation of "basic law" here, because law is only
language. This is the same premise that allows you to be positivistic when
words and phrases are rigid. Don't you see that? The same thing that allows one
to say "Schedule II Controlled Substance is only what is written here" is the
very same thing that allows one to say "family resemblance on this one, judge."
Don't you see they come from the same system of thought? Originalists are the
ones who are double talking as far as jurisprudence goes. You want to be
religious with your constitution, yet positivistic with your statutes.  One
involves metaphysics and conjuring, the other "just reading." In one instance,
Law is like serving a deity; in the other, it is only the cold, naked words.

4. The only time we really indulge historicism for purposes of meaning (outside
of religion and metaphysics) is for celebratory purposes. For
example, "Jefferson's Constitution." Or, what civil rights meant to Dr. King.
That is, we sometimes indulge person-specific psychology in meaning for
artistic purposes.  We cannot do this in law, because idolatry is not its
vehicle. It would make the whole thing look like religious or cult worship, or
authoritarian propaganda (See Saddam Hussein). Hence, we leave this sort of
device only for art appreciation or theatrics or drama.

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University