[Wittrs] Re: Originalism, "Arms," and Family Resemblance

  • From: "Scarberry, Mark" <Mark.Scarberry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sean Wilson" <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>, <conlawprof@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 18:04:54 -0800

Hello Sean. I'm sorry, but I don't find your method of analyzing
language to be authoritative for purposes of constitutional law. I also
think it is not at all surprising that a society that adopts basic law
(a constitution) would expect that law to be persistent even when a new
generation arises that knows not Madison. If each new generation gets to
pour new meaning into the old wineskins of constitutional provisions,
the system will be inclined to rupture, as those of us who decline to be
governed by the new rules that are thus created object to the creation
of the new rules. (There is of course the question of who within each
new generation gets to do the pouring; if it's the courts, then I want
the judges to be elected, and I think I want a hefty supermajority of
those elected judge/legislators to have to agree before new meaning can
be thus poured.)

Mark S. Scarberry
Pepperdine University School of Law