[Wittrs] Originalism, "Arms," and Family Resemblance

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: conlawprof@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 09:58:01 -0800 (PST)

Hello Mark.

In your comment below, you use this language: "[Sean's point of view is
that] we can't really be bound by what the persons who adopted authoritative
language meant by that language." Two issues: language and generations.

LANGUAGE
For family resemblance terms, there is no meaningful difference between our use
of such words and theirs, even though the example of it differs. This is the
same as my use of the word "lunch" and yours, where we eat different things.
The fallacy here is to think two things: (a) that language must be a picture of
something empirical in the word (essentially, a reification problem); and (b)
that its meaning is given to us by the examples and behavior of forebears.
Point (a) is a common mistake; point (b) is a dogma.

Hence, the term "arms" in language can mean a family of things and has
different senses. The persons who enshrined this language into law did nothing
but enshrine a family of things, and then merely chose as their protocol one
example of it. We understand this uncontroversially when we leave constitutions
and look at statutes, where we see elaborate definitions and legalisms. The
constitution doesn't come to us that way -- it comes only as generalities. In
this situation, the language doesn't mean how a prior generation behaved under
those generalities, any more than what you eat for "lunch" must be the
thing the prior generation ate, or else you are violating the meaning of
"lunch." Family resemblance terms don't work like that.

GENERATIONS
If you think about it, it is extremely strange that a current generation of
Americans would be told by someone that they were legally bound to
follow the choices of their father's and forefathers with respect to
anything. Even in American families, this isn't much of an ethic anymore. At
best, the choices of forefathers are offered only as examples or suggestions.
And if you look at social institutions that actually do bind their progeny --
the Amish, fraternities, religious sacraments, etc. --  you can clearly see
that neither the democratic ritual nor its resultant legalism is concerned with
it. All that generations do through constitutions is pass along a linguistic
framework from which subsequent ones can choose to follow existing examples or
pick new ones. There is nothing in law or language that requires otherwise.

So if one is going to get "up in arms" because we today have chosen examples
different from the likes of Patrick Henry and Bushrod Washington, one would
want to know what on earth is the cause of this misplaced political enthusiasm.
It probably is very simple: we live in peculiar times in American history. We
live in an epoch where segments of American conservatism  (a.m. radio
and teabaggers) have become so indulged with cultural idolatry that they
think "law and language" requires imitation of the hegemonic beliefs and
practices of agrarian society in the late 1700s. What I hope happens in the
future is that the law professor academy would come to universally understand
that the meaning of a family-resemblance word is never the imitation of
another's discreet example of it.

There is no significant mystery about what "arms" means.  Any English speaker
has a decent understanding of the idea. There is only the question of what
sense to give it when justices choose to speak the language in decisions. They
can give it good or bad sense. This is the same choice that you and I have when
choosing to use the expression in language.  So the question is never "what it
means," but always whether the use of it by justices amounts to a reasonable
sort of vernacular.

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor