[Wittrs] Re: No Effing Way--Again

  • From: "SWM" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 22:35:24 -0000

Budd, I'm going to reply as you habitually do:

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "gabuddabout" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> Stuart writes:
>
> "But Searle takes the third premise as grounds for a denial of causality, as
> in computers can't cause consciousness (as brains do), which means he uses
> the third premise in a way that the claim that it is conceptually true
> doesn't support because non-identity does not imply non-causality and the
> non-causality
> claim is not, itself, conceptually true UNLESS you take the claim of
> non-identity to be tantamount to a non-causality claim (i.e., think that to
> cause X something must already be X -- see below for more on this)."
>

> Your argument above needs us to be blind to the first premise.  That is
> another place where the noncausality claim is implied.  The third premise is
> really two, what with the conjunction of independent clauses.  You're simply
> shown to be mistaken in thinking that Searle needs one of the independent
> clauses to be belched out of the other (i.e., the non-identity claim as
> grounds for the non-causality claim)

You're simply wrong, Budd. You just don't understand anything. My target
argument has trumped your target article not to mention your lame responses
nine ways to Sunday. Oh wait. It's not Sunday. Well, okay, make it Thursday
which is almost over by now so I guess we'll compromise on Friday . . . or
Saturday. Wanna play?

Boy, I can't believe how you keep lying about Searle, Stuart!

(Like it so far? Find it convincing?)

> What you're up against here is this:  You are being shown to be oblivious to
> the first premise, along with the English language Witters asks us to get
> keen on, just a little bit.  Ah, but maybe you were working a bit.  "Bit" can
> be entertainingly considered a bit a bit....

You are being shown to be oblivious to what it means to be oblivious.
Bedump-bump!

> There are many convolutions to what you say.  But if you can find an
> equivocation or a bit of fuzziness in the target article, that would be a
> feat I'd like to witness.  Also, the very summary forms of the CRA are
> motivated by the searching thoughts of Searle found in the target article.
> The target article is google-ready, at least in a penultimate version said to
> contain mistakes but I didn't really see any mistakes that compromised
> content.

Searle is just so bad and knows so little that he must be lying about Dennett.
Unless you are, in which case you're lying about Dennett and Searle both but
Searle isn't going to take that lying down. Or rather I and my fellow
Dennettians (are there any besides me?) aren't. Oh wait, I'm channeling me
channeling you when I should be channeling you channeling me, right? Well it
all prolly just boils down to a failure to distinguish between strong and weak
AI which Searle is okay with, that is with weak AI, because strong AI just
can't fly. And Searle shows it. Yeah! Take that, Stuart!

Or maybe it's a problem because you just don't get the difference between S/H
and non-S/H. Well whatever (drum roll please . . .).

> Target article:  "Minds, Brains, and Programs," Behavioral and Brain Sciences
> 3 (3): 417-457.
>
> Searle suggests that his article "can be viewed as an attempt to explore the
> consequences of two propositions."

Yeah, THIS is the key. Why haven't you paid attention to his motivation? (Oh
right, that's what you should be saying to me, not what I would be saying to
you while channeling you -- but then the water flows through many channels and
the Wittrs riverbed flows with the river and . . . bedump-bump!)

> Anyone ready to note that the second proposition is the claim that
> "Instantiating a computer program is never by itself a sufficient condition
> of intentionality."

Yeah, see how he says that in this 1980 version of the argument he revised
twenty times since then? If you don't like his latest version, you gotta argue
with his earliest. No, wait, you gotta argue with every iteration but first you
gotta start with the old target article which Stuart refuses to read or
pretends to have read or pretends I never told him where to find it so he could
read it . . . oh wait, I am Stuart channeling Budd, right? So am I supposed to
be arguing against Budd here or is that against myself? In which case how can I
beat myself? I know, I can pretend to be Budd whose arguments are slam-bang and
no way (no effing way!) Stuart could show they aren't and if he did well, I
don't buy it anyway, and besides everyone here agrees with me and disagrees
with Stuart. Just ask Gordon and Joe and everyone else!

> Notice that in the past Stuart argues against the first premise by saying
> that Searle is arguing against a strawman.  Stuart says that Searle's notion
> of programs being abstract simply leaves out the fact that they are (in
> capitals) Running.  Note that Searle is, in fact, using the word
> "instantiating."  I think that's an action verb on a parrr with "running."

Yep, Searle recognizes the computers are running but he ain't talking about
that but about those programs they're supposed to be running which ain't
natural kinds, pace Searle, even if Dennett, Stuart's favorite, doesn't know
what he's talking about pace Stuart, or is that pace me? -- but then neither
does Stuart -- and so programs can't cause anything and everyone knows brains
cause minds except maybe Bruce who doesn't know what cause means anyway, or Joe
who keeps confusing cause with other words but, hey, Joe is good with Searle so
I'm good with Joe -- that is Stuart when channeling Budd is good with Joe, when
he's only channeling Stuart -- can anyone channel themselves? -- he's bad with
Joe. But then Stuart is bad most of the time anyway. Hey, let's be friends, I
can dig being friends who are so bad in philosophy they channel Stuart -- or
are Stuart -- where was I again?

[Ah, from here on in, Budd, you do such a good job of channeling yourself I
guess I'll leave the rest to you. Happy reading fellow posters. -- SWM]