[Wittrs] Re: Is the Third Axiom True?

  • From: "SWM" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:05:09 -0000

<snip>

> You can read an exchange between Searle and Dennett in Searle's book _The
> Mystery of Consciousness_
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=ZqsytrHg8LkC&lpg=PP1&ots=J0mZpr10Fv&dq=mystery%20of%20consciousness&pg=PA95#v=onepage&q&f=false
>
> -gts

Clearly Searle is either woefully misreading Dennett or Dennett is woefully
misreading Searle. How can we tell who is doing what on your view?

Just take one or the other at his word?

Rely on some notion of "common sense" (yours or our own)?

Do you think there is any way of arguing the case, one way or the other, or is
it all, in the end, just about competing belief systems which we happen to hold
regardless of what others say, one way or the other?

Is there any point to actually discussing these issues? Do we change our minds
minds?

If not, what is the point of philosophical discourse about these things?