[Wittrs] Is Homeostasis the Answer? (Re: Variations in the Idea of Consciousness)

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 14:33:53 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

This is just a quick response on one point.  I will probably give  a
more detailed response to the entire post later today or tomorrow.

>> The summary term that is used for what is required, is "perception."
>> Everybody (other than me) seems to want to take perception
>> for granted, without trying to examine what is required for
>> perception. Note that I am following J.J Gibson in distinguishing
>> between perception and sensation. Perception is involved with
>> getting useful information about the world.

> Where sensation is that raw material from which the useful
> information is extracted or constructed then?

No.  Rather it is the useful information that is the "raw material"
from which sensations are formed.  Come to think of it, I perhaps  could
have said "intentional information" instead of "useful  information".

Regards,
Neil