[Wittrs] Re: I Experience in Ordinary Language

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 05:11:14 -0800 (PST)

--- On Sun, 3/7/10, Cayuse <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I see a bent pencil.

Actually the pencil is straight, so you don't see a bent pencil.

> What added value is there is postulating the existence of something that
> "consciously experiences" the seeing of that  pencil?

You see a straight pencil, not a bent pencil, and the notion of conscious
experience allows you give a coherent explanation.

You can rightly say "I see a straight pencil in a glass of water, one that
because of refraction appears bent in my conscious experience."

You may leave out the last four words if you like, but you imply them, and it
seems to me that without that notion of your conscious experience you must
either tell a falsehood about the nature of the pencil or a falsehood about the
nature of your perception of it.