[Wittrs] Re: I Experience in Ordinary Language

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 09:47:35 -0800 (PST)

--- On Sun, 3/7/10, Cayuse <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Gordon Swobe replied:

>> Non-zombies like you do more than report conscious
>> experiences -- you actually have conscious experiences to report.
>> And you know this as surely as you can see the words in this
>> sentence.
>
> I refer you back to my comment to which you originally
> replied: "Conscious experience [...] is not an empirical phenomenon
> in the world, nor are there any empirical phenomena in the world
> that make it useful to postulate any such concept."
>
> Are you arguing that the ability to report the bent
> appearance of a straight pencil in a glass of water gives grounds for
> ascribing "conscious experience" to the reporter?

No.

It looks to me as if you want to shift the discussion from the 2nd person to
the 3rd person to avoid the obvious conclusion that you have conscious
experiences. Allow me to ask you a simple yes/no question:

In the thought experiment I describe, do *you* have a conscious experience of
seeing a bent pencil?