[Wittrs] Re: I Experience in Ordinary Language

  • From: "Cayuse" <z.z7@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 06:25:00 -0000

Joseph Polanik wrote:
the fact that the assertion ('I experience') is made is
proof  that something makes the assertion, is it not?

Language is a publicly conditioned mode of behavior enacted between physical
organisms in the world. Conscious experience (as you and I are using this
term) is not an empirical phenomenon in the world, nor are there any
empirical phenomena in the world that make it useful to postulate any such
concept. Therefore the assertion that "I experience" informs nobody of
anything. The "something that makes the assertion" is a physical organism in
the world, and there is nothing to be gained by associating the physical
organism with some putative "experiencer" of conscious experience.